With the new year in full effect, many of us have volunteered for challenging resolutions. One of the most popular resolutions in the health and fitness world is some form of “diet.” While we like to encourage a lifestyle change (not temporary food changes) Whole30 is actually a little more like a diet – designed to create a lifestyle change. 30 days of whole foods – veggies, fruits, meats, nuts and seeds… if you’re reading this you’re probably well aware of the daunting list that looms over us. So, I’m hoping to ease that pain…
Avocado Toast was all the new craze in 2017 and rightfully so. It’s well balanced with macronutrients, it’s simple to make, and it’s delicious! So, we decided to share a delicious Whole30 version.
The toast will consist of a potato/hashbrown “toast”, half of a ripe avocado, and topped with two poached or fried eggs. So, let’s get going!
- Grate potatoes using food processor or box grater. I used a box grater – easy! **One russet makes about 3-4 small patties.
- Sprinkle potatoes with sea salt.
- Place potatoes between paper towels and squeeze out excess moisture. The more moisture you eliminate the crispier your patty will be, so squeeze! You may have to repeat three or four times to remove all the moisture.
- Place grated potatoes back in a bowl.
- Add egg, and your choice of flour. Mix well. Optional: arrowroot powder and chives.
- Form potatoes into into patties.
- Heat a pan on high heat with coconut oil. Once hot, add patties.
- While potatoes cook mash avocado with a fork.
- Cook till golden brown (about 3-4 minutes per side) Easy on the flip!
- Cook second side till golden brown. (turn down heat if pan is too hot by now)
- In a separate pan/pot, prepare fried/poached eggs. Poached look better, fried are easier.
- Remove potato patties from pan and top with mashed avocado and eggs. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly turned pepper. Garnish with remaining chives.